Trump: LeBron’s Tweet is ‘Racist’; Texas Woman Hospitalized for Blood Clot Symptoms; Sarah Drew Reprising Grey’s Anatomy Role; Suspect in Jaslyn Adam’s Killing In Custody; Chicago Bans Sale Of Animals.
Trump Says LeBron James’ Ohio Cop Tweet Is ‘Racist’
Former President Donald Trump is unhappy with LeBron James’ recent tweet and called it ‘racist.’ According to Trump, the NBA start should “focus on basketball rather than presiding over the destruction of the NBA.”
On Thursday, James, 36, sent out a tweet about the Ohio police officer involved in another police killing. This time, the victim is 16-year-old teenager Ma’Khia Bryant.
“His RACIST rants are divisive, nasty, insulting, and demeaning,” the former president, 74, said in a statement. “He may be a great basketball player, but he is doing nothing to bring our Country together!”
Trump is referring to the tweet that James sent out of a photo of Columbus cop Nicholas Reardon. In his tweet, James wrote: “YOU’RE NEXT.” as a caption.
Because of the backlash, the Los Angeles Lakers star took down the tweet. He explained his decision to delete the tweet because it was “being used to create more hate.”
James also shared that the tweet wasn’t “about one officer” but about the “entire system.” He also shared that “they always use our words to create more racism.” James also said that he was “so damn tired of seeing Black people killed by police.”
In his statement, James called for officials to take more action and that he is “so desperate for more ACCOUNTABILITY.”
Even though he already deleted the inflammatory tweet, James made it clear that his “anger still is here for what happened that lil girl.”
The NBA star was about Bryant, who was shot and killed by Reardon while she lunged at another girl with a knife.
“ANGER does any of us any good and that includes myself! Gathering all the facts and educating does though!” James wrote. “My sympathy for her family and may justice prevail!”
The star’s tweet comes after Reardon was identified as the cop who shot and killed Bryant. The 16-year-old was taken to a local hospital, where she later died.
Texas Woman Hospitalized After Experiencing Blood Clot Symptoms With J&J Vaccine
A woman in Texas was rushed to the hospital after experiencing blood clots and other symptoms. Her symptoms are similar to the six other individuals who received a COVID-19 vaccine dose from Johnson & Johnson.
Last week, health agencies in the country recommended pausing the use of the single-shot vaccine because of the rare cases of blood clots that occurred in six people. As of this writing, the shot had already been administered to around 7 million individuals in the country.
Following the new incident, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advisers set to meet on Friday to discuss whether they should continue the use of the J&J vaccine. The senior U.S. health officials are also waiting for a nod.
The Texas Department of State Health Services spokesman confirmed that the CDC had notified the state agency of the recent incident.
In an emailed statement, the spokesman shared: “The patient is an adult female who was hospitalized after receiving the J&J vaccine with symptoms that appear to be consistent with the six cases reported elsewhere last week.”
They shared that they will not be providing any further information to protect the privacy of the patient. When the incident was first reported, federal authorities started to investigate the case.
Imelda Garcia, the associate commissioner for the division for infectious diseases of the Texas health agency, said in the report:
“It’s important to remember that just because something is reported, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it was caused by or linked to the vaccine.”
On Tuesday, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) said they found a possible link between the rare blood clotting issue and J&J’s vaccine. But in its report, the agency said that the benefits of the shot outweigh the risks.
Sarah Drew Reprising Role For Episode On Grey’s Anatomy
Grey’s Anatomy fans are celebrating today after the show’s producers released a promo for an upcoming episode.
In the promo, Jackson Avery (Jesse Williams) is seen driving through a storm and appearing at the front door of his ex-wife April Kepner (Sarah Drew), who is holding their daughter.
“Alright, I know this seems impulsive and out of nowhere, but it’s not,” Jackson says to himself. “I’ve thought this through.”
The promo then starts to bring up flashbacks of the couple’s unforgettable moments together throughout the series.
Avid fans can’t help but be excited that Drew is making a comeback to the series on its 17th season.
On Twitter, fans couldn’t help their excitement. One user wrote: “JAPRIL THE REUNION IS COMING.” Japril is a play on the name of the characters Jackson and April.
Unfortunately, the episode doesn’t seem to hint at a Japril reunion. On the last episode that aired on April 15th, Jackson drove out to visit his father’s house in Bozeman, Montana, after questioning his activism after the protests involving George Floyd’s murder in Seattle.
But this doesn’t mean fans won’t be seeing April in the show at all.
The actress, 40, shared the first look of her character’s return on Twitter. The post was shared almost a month after reports that she would be reprising her role for an episode in this season.
Together with the photo, Drew wrote: “We have a date! April is back on @GreysABC Thursday, May 6 at 9/8c on ABC!” The photo shows April wearing a hoodie and holding a wine glass while talking to someone. Many can’t help but hope that mysterious person is her ex-husband.
Drew played the role of Dr. April Kepner from 2009 until 2018. Meanwhile, Jesse Williams has been on the show from 2009 until the current season.
Suspect in Jaslyn Adam’s Killing Now In Police Custody
A man believed to be the suspect in the death of 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams at a McDonald’s drive-thru has been wounded by the Chicago police. The incident caused the shut down of the eastbound traffic lanes on the Eisenhower Expressway at Mannheim Road in Westchester.
In a press conference, CPD Supt. David Brown talked to members of the media to talk about the incident. Brown says that the man shot by police is someone they believed to be involved in the shooting that transpired over the weekend. The suspect sustained non-life-threatening gunshot wounds in the arm. He is now in police custody.
According to reports, gang intelligence officers from the Chicago police have been trailing the man in a western suburb. They attempted to pull him over on the eastbound lanes of I-290. He was allegedly trying to carjack a vehicle.
The police chief shared that the suspect crashed the vehicle he used to escape from the police, so he attempted to carjack another vehicle owned by “a family that was in traffic on the freeway.”
The chief said that this was when one of the officers “engaged this suspect and fired his weapon.”
The police were also able to recover a couple of guns. A camera captured the incident in a helicopter with what appears to be a man being transported in an ambulance.
Right now, it is unclear if the suspect fired back at officers or anyone else on the expressway. The Civilian Office of Police Accountability is currently investigating the incident.
Police believe that the man intended to shoot Jontae Adams, Jaslyn’s father. Jontae survived the shooting but was brought to the hospital with severe wounds. Jaslyn, on the other hand, was killed after sustaining six gunshot wounds.
Speaking to the public for the first time since he left the hospital, Jontae shared that he “want my daughter’s killers locked up.”
After reports that police had a suspect in custody, Jaslyn’s grandmother, Lawanda McMullen, said: “If it is him, hopefully, it is, maybe, just maybe, we can get a full-on investigation and catch both killers so Jaslyn’s families can have some type of closure.”
Lanes have since reopened after authorities investigated the incident.
Chicago Bans Retail Sale Of Dogs, Cats, Rabbits
It’s official! Chicago has passed a bill that bans the retail sale of animals in the city.
According to its meeting on Wednesday, the Chicago City Council will be shutting down the last remaining shops that allow the sale of dogs, cats, and rabbits.
It isn’t the first time that this law was passed. As a matter of fact, the law prohibiting the sale of dogs, cats, and rabbits had already been passed seven years ago from disreputable sources. But because of a loophole in the law, some shops continued to operate. These shops claim that the dogs they sell are rescues.
The Chicago Alliance for Animals (CAA) said in a statement that several of these reputable sources have already been investigated. And based on the discovery of these investigations, they have been exposed for selling rescues as fronts to support the puppy mill industry.
After the bill was passed, the CAA’s Executive Director, Jodie Wiederkehr said: “CAA is so thrilled that Chicago’s City Council finally passed this bill, so the progressive legislation that passed in 2014 can finally take effect, which will translate in many more dogs getting adopted out of our city shelters.”
The decision to pass the bill comes from an online petition that more than 13,000 animal advocates signed. The petition was addressed to Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Ald. Derrick Curtis, Matthew O’Shea, and Michele Smith. The petition called for the city officials to shut down three pet stores selling exorbitantly high-priced dogs in their stores. A total of twenty-one Aldermen signed the bill as its official co-sponsors.
For over a year now, CAA volunteers have been actively protesting Pocket Puppies.
Now that the bill has passed, it will “stop the flow of puppies and dogs into Chicago from disgusting puppy mills, backyard breeders, and unscrupulous sources, where dogs are treated like breeding machines and inanimate objects,” says Wiederkehr. “With the passage of this bill, the Second City is proving to be a leader in the humane treatment of animals.”