No ‘designated survivor’ for Biden; Rachel Bilson and Rami Malek are ‘good’; Floyd Mayweather v Logan Paul on June 6; Chicago man sentenced to 12 years; 2nd Suspect Arrested in 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams Murder Case
In President Biden’s Congressional address this Wednesday, no ‘designated survivor’ has been named. Suppose a hypothetical disaster occurs in the Capitol. In that case, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen could become the President of the United States unless Senator Patrick Leahy skips the event and decides to stay away from the venue. On Wednesday at 9 p.m. EST, the President will be delivering an address before a joint session of Congress.
The person in the line of succession to be President who is chosen not to attend an event is called the designated survivor. In the event of a massive casualty that will kill all potential Presidential successors, the designated survivor is seated as the President. Typically, the designated survivors stay at an undisclosed location during national events. For this Wednesday’s Congressional Address, the White House did not name a designated survivor.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said during Tuesday’s briefing, “There does not need to be a designated survivor because the Cabinet will be watching from their offices or their homes.” Naming a designated survivor is unnecessary since some Cabinet members and those in the Presidential line of succession will be at home or remotely viewing in their offices due to COVID-19 audience restrictions. The attendees will be expectedly sparse, and only a few of the Cabinet members have confirmed their attendance.
The White House clarified that Yellen becomes the de facto-designated survivor because the immediate successors, the Secretary of State Antony Blinken and the Democratic Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy, Senate president pro-tempore, are attending President Biden’s Congressional address. If Sen. Patrick Leahy decided not to participate in the event in person, he would fall next in the line of succession.
It has been a tradition that during a State of the Union and other addresses by new presidents, one of the Cabinet members deliberately accosted away from the U.S. Capitol. This practice ensures the U.S. Government’s continuity when it faces an unfortunate possibility of a mass catastrophe that will wipe out the country’s leaders in the Constitution’s line of succession.
Rachel Bilson and Rami Malek are ‘good’ after an Instagram photo fiasco
Actress Rachel Bilson said that Rami Malek has reconnected with her weeks after an Instagram throwback photo issue. She mentioned in a podcast that Malek had previously asked her to take down a photo of the two of them as teenagers that she posted on Instagram.
“Rami and I have talked since that came out. He connected with me, and we’re all good. He was so sweet, and we’re totally fine now, and we talked about it, and we’re good. I understood where he was coming from, and he understood me. And I was just so happy we were able to squash it and, like, move on.” Bilson excitedly shared on one of the Lady Gang podcasts.
On the Armchair Expert podcast, Bilson said that back in 2019 when Malek became a contender for an Oscar Award for his role in “Bohemian Rhapsody” as Freddie Mercury, she posted a throwback photo from a senior trip to Broadway when both of them were high school classmates. She considered the picture to be funny, and she thinks it is also important to make fun of yourself. After seeing the Instagram post, Malek sent her a direct message asking her to take it down because he prefers to be a private person.
It was not a cordial message, but a straight-to-the-point kind of request saying that he will appreciate it if she will delete the photo from her Instagram because he is an extremely private person. Bilson added that she started to panic, and she got worried that she did something wrong or that she made a huge mistake. After that March podcast, the press got hold of the story, and it began to blow up in the news. Bilson became worried after reports about her off-the-cuff remark on the podcast were misinterpreted and made to imply that Malek had been rude to her when he ordered her to remove the photo. In the end, she said it was a good thing because they were able to reconnect, and everything is great between them since then.
Floyd Mayweather and Logan Paul confirm match in Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium on June 6
The legendary boxer is finally taking on the YouTube star this summer in Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, and the new date has been made official. It will be on Sunday, June 6. The schedule will avoid a clash with another pay-per-view event involving George Kambosos Jr. against the undisputed lightweight king Teofimo Lopez.
Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium, the home of Super Bowl LIV and the Miami Dolphins, and will be the venue of the much-awaited match. As announced, Showtime pay-per-view and Fanmio will carry the fight, as confirmed by Mayweather on Instagram. “Logan Paul and I are going to fight at Hard Rock Stadium. Mayweather Promotions, Fanmio, and Showtime will team up to give you an epic event,” Mayweather mentioned in his post.
There are no confirmed details on the number of rounds they will fight or the size gloves the fighters will use. Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs), 44, has retired after defeating MMA star Conor McGregor by 10th-round TKO in a boxing match back in 2017 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Since retirement, Mayweather has also featured in an exhibition bout, knocking out Japanese kickboxing star Tenshin Nasukawa in 2018, with him winning by TKO in the first round. Mayweather has 50-0 in his professional career, now is going to square off against YouTube star Logan Paul. On the opposite corner, Logan Paul (0-1 0 KOs), 26, lost his only professional fight in November 2019 against fellow YouTube star KSI, real name Olajide William Olatunji.
The Mayweather-Paul fight’s previous schedule was February 20, but COVID-19 protocols would not allow a packed stadium. There should be more fans attending in June as the date rolls around as Americans continue to get vaccinated. In the last terms of the fight state, Mayweather should be under 160 pounds, and Paul will be allowed to come in under 190 pounds on the day of the match. Since the fight is considered an exhibition, the result will not count toward Mayweather’s perfect record.
Chicago man sentenced to 12 years for stealing car with a girl in the back seat
Tyrell Pulley, 23, received a 12-year sentence for stealing a car at an Aurora gas station while the owner’s 11-year-old daughter was in the back seat. He pleaded guilty on March 19 to one count of aggravated vehicular hijacking, DuPage County state’s attorney officials said in a news release.
At approximately 5:45 a.m., on May 4, 2018, the victim was at the gas station outside his vehicle, preparing to put gas in his car, when another car pulled up close. Pulley exited that vehicle, entered the driver’s side of the victim’s vehicle, and began to drive away with the victim’s daughter in the back seat. The victim attempted to stop Pulley, and as Pulley pulled away, the eleven-year-old girl opened the back passenger door and jumped out of the moving vehicle. Pulley and the car he arrived at then fled the scene when the victim contacted the Aurora Police Department. Approximately forty-five minutes later, an Illinois State Trooper observed the Jeep Cherokee traveling on I-290, at which time the trooper initiated a pursuit of the vehicle. Following a brief chase, they took Pulley into custody.
“Over the past several years, we have seen an alarming increase in the number of carjackings in DuPage County and throughout the entire Chicagoland area. These violent crimes affect not only the victim of the carjacking but also the entire community. The sentence passed down by Judge Kinsella this afternoon sends the message that in DuPage County we take carjackings extremely seriously. This afternoon, Mr. Pulley learned that lesson the hard way, as he will now spend a substantial amount of time behind bars for what he did. Thankfully, the young girl involved in this violent crime was not seriously injured. Her quick thinking and courage to jump out of a moving vehicle may be what kept a terrifying situation from turning tragic.” DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said in the release.
Pulley will have to serve 50% of his sentence before he is eligible for parole. He receives credit for the time he has served in the DuPage County jail since his arrest on May 5, 2018.
Chicago cops arrested the second suspect in 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams murder case
According to the police, Demond Goudy, 21, was taken into custody on Tuesday around 7:15 p.m. after a SWAT standoff. Investigators were led to Goudy’s home while following up on the leads on the possible suspects in the murder of Jaslyn Adams.
Jaslyn Adams was the 7-year-old Chicago girl who was shot while sitting in a car in a McDonald’s drive-thru. Goudy is the second suspect arrested in connection to the killing. SWAT units were requested to assist in the arrest, and the suspect was taken to the police station. He was then questioned and detained in connection with the April 18 killing. The cases filed against him were first-degree murder and attempted murder. However, the authorities did not clearly stipulate if he was identified as a person who fired at the victims.
“Justice continues to be served for #JaslynAdams and her family; a second offender has been charged with First Degree Murder in this horrific crime. The investigation continues. #JusticeForJaslynAdams.” Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown mentioned in his Twitter account.
Marion Lewis, 18, the other suspect in the murder case, was shot and arrested last week on a busy freeway after trying to evade police officers pursuing him. He was allegedly trying to carjack a family stuck in traffic when he was shot. Lewis was also charged with murder, along with another slew of felony charges. The investigators believe that he was driving the car that the shooters used when they opened fire at Jaslyn Adams and her father. Adams was killed, and her father was injured while they were sitting in a McDonald’s drive-thru in a brazen and senseless killing that shocked the whole city. Her father has recovered from his injuries and was released from a hospital.
After the shooting, the owner of McDonald’s, Akins Akinnagbe, said this horrific event deeply saddened him. In a statement provided by a McDonald’s spokesperson to Fox News, they conveyed, “We are grateful to local law enforcement for their swift response and are fully cooperating with their investigation into the matter.”