Trending News for Today

Tennessee Removes Ku Klux Klan Leader’s Bust from State Capitol; Beyoncé’s New Orleans Mansion Fire Investigated as Arson; ‘LeBron Ain’t Michael’: Original ‘Space Jam’ Director Trashes New Movie; Tom Brady Slammed the Team that Passed on Him in 2020; Live Nation Offers Special $20 ‘All-In’ Concert Tickets


Tennessee Removes Ku Klux Klan Leader Nathan Bedford Forrest’s Bust from State Capitol

Tennessee officials agreed Thursday to relocate the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Ku Klux Klan leader, slave trader, and Confederate General, from the State Capitol to the Tennessee State Museum.

“After more than a year in the making, this process has finally come to a close,” said Republican Gov. Bill Lee of Tennessee, who voted in favor of the removal.

“I thank the members of the Capitol Commission, Historical Commission and State Building Commission for providing thoughtful input and ensuring confidence in the process. The State Museum provides the full historical context for these figures as we remember our state’s rich and complex past.”

The decision, which also includes proposals to remove Admiral David Farragut and Admiral Albert Gleaves busts, was approved 5-2, following recommendations from the State Capitol Commission and Historical Commission.

“Museums preserve historical objects to provide connections to the past and offer public spaces for reflection. We are prepared to place these artifacts in that setting,” Ashley Howell, director of the Tennessee State Museum, stated.

According to the museum, the relocation will begin on Friday.

Lt. Gov. Randy McNally and House Speaker Cameron Sexton were the two leaders that voted against removing the busts.

“Trying to judge past generations’ actions based on today’s values and the evolution of societies is not an exercise I am willing to do because I think it is counterproductive,” Sexton said in a statement. “It is much more productive to learn from our past and not repeat the imperfections of the past. Any attempt to erase the past only aligns society with the teaching of communism, which believes the present dominates the past.”

McNally stated in a tweet that context, not elimination, was required. “No one is arguing that Forrest is not a problematic figure. He is. But there is more to his story,” McNally remarked.

Last month, workmen took Forrest’s remains and those of his wife from a Memphis park where he had a monument.


Beyoncé’s New Orleans Mansion Fire Investigated as Arson

A $2.4 million historic New Orleans mansion apparently owned by Beyoncé and Jay-Z caught fire Wednesday night, and the blaze is now being investigated as a case of “simple arson,” according to The New Orleans Advocate and other news outlets.

At 6:15 p.m. central daylight time, the fire began in the vacant property in the exclusive Garden District and quickly escalated to a one-alarm situation. It was fully extinguished by 8:30 p.m. after 22 firefighters rushed to the scene, a department spokesperson confirmed to The Post. No one was harmed in the blaze.

“If they didn’t get there when they did, it could have been much worse. It’s a historic home,” the representative said, adding that no one was injured or evacuated.

The cause of the Garden District fire remains unknown. According to ABC affiliate WGNO, New Orleans police are investigating the fire as “simple arson” and have “received a report of a suspicious person in the area around the time of the fire.”

The Advocate reported that police got reports of a suspicious figure in the neighborhood immediately before the fire broke out. Within the kitchen oven, investigators discovered literature and a fuel can.

According to the Advocate, the home was purchased for $2.6 million in 2015 by a shell business with the same mailing address as Parkwood Entertainment, Beyonce’s management company.

In 2015, Sugarcane Park LLC acquired the residence. The LLC is controlled by Celestine Lawson, Beyoncé’s mother, also known as Miss Tina, and is registered at the singer’s Sherman Oaks address, which also serves as the address for numerous other LLCs.

According to Realtor.com, the six-bedroom, six-and-a-half bath property was built in 1927 as the Westminster Presbyterian church. The city documents state that the area of the property is 15,200 square feet. It had housed an eight-dancer ballet society before being transformed into a home in 2000.

Beyoncé’s representative did not respond to The Post’s request for comment.


‘LeBron Ain’t Michael’: Original ‘Space Jam’ Director Trashes New Movie

Joe Pytka, the 1996 director of the original film starring NBA superstar Michael Jordan, appears to have abhorred the remake, “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” which debuted on HBO last week and stars LeBron James. Pytka criticized the premise and supporting cast.

Pytka criticized the film thoroughly in an interview with TMZ released Wednesday. Given that the first “Space Jam” has a 44 percent critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes (“New Legacy” has a 30% rating), his statements come off as amusing as Bugs Bunny sticking his fingers in Elmer Fudd’s weapon.

“The truth is that LeBron ain’t Michael,” Pytka told the entertainment website, noting that James is an “incredible athlete and a very good actor”, but in 1996, when his movie was filmed, Jordan was the biggest celebrity in the world, and much of the original was based on MJ’s real life.

According to TMZ, Pytka also struggled to see “New Legacy”; it took him around five tries to get through the full film. He complained that the new film’s Bugs Bunny “has no connection to previous depictions,” adding that the renowned mascot “looked like one of those fluffy dolls you buy at an airport gift shop to bring your kid when your business trip has taken too long.”

Additionally, Pytka believes the reboot’s soundtrack is “insignificant” in comparison to its six-times-platinum predecessor, has a less-than-stellar supporting cast, and has gone so far as to call this incarnation of Bugs Bunny “heartbreaking.”

However, this is not the first time Joe has expressed dissatisfaction with the Space Jam sequel. He actually did it years in advance of the film’s release. He had turned down an offer to direct a sequel starring a different NBA star before LeBron and A New Legacy entered the scene.

And last year, Joe expressed similar sentiments about the sequel, stating that “there will never be another Michael Jordan.”

LeBron has previously addressed the comparisons, having declined the starring role in the past due to his belief that it was too early in his career.


Tom Brady Slammed the Team that Passed on Him in 2020: ‘They Know Who They Are’

The 43-year-old quarterback Tom Brady made no apologies during a recent interview when discussing the unnamed team that passed on him last year when he approached free agency.

Brady declined to name the team during an interview with SiriusXM, stating that “there’s private things for me that are going to remain motivational for me — they know who they are.”

“I think what you realize is that there’s not as many smart people as you think,” Brady said of the unidentified team during a SiriusXM Town Hall event with sportscaster Jim Gray that aired Wednesday night. “It’s just the reality.”

Brady announced he was leaving the New England Patriots in March 2020, the team where he spent the first two decades of his NFL career. During that period, the father of three explored free agency and met with other teams before signing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers a month later.

“It would be a no-brainer if you said, ‘Hey, you’ve got a chance to get Wayne Gretzky on your team,’ or ‘You get a chance to have Michael Jordan on your team,'” Brady told Gray. “‘Ahh, we don’t need him. No thanks, we’re good.’ In my mind, I’m kind of thinking, okay, let me go show those teams what they’re missing.”

“At the same time, let me go prove to the team that did bet on me, and the team that really showed that they really wanted me and committed to me, that I’m not going to let them down,” he continued.

Brady chose Tampa Bay and led the team to a Super Bowl victory ten months later in February, his seventh championship. While things eventually worked out, Brady never forgot about the team that passed on him during free agency.

“One of the teams, and they weren’t interested at the very end,” Brady discussed in an episode of HBO’s The Shop last month. “I was thinking, ‘You’re sticking with that motherf—–?’ “

NFL fans speculate that Brady was referring to Jimmy Garoppolo, who was previously Brady’s backup in New England but went on to start for the San Francisco 49ers.

The 49ers confirmed during Brady’s free agency that they were interested in him.


Live Nation Offers Special $20 ‘All-In’ Concert Tickets to Pitbull, Luke Bryan, Jonas Brothers, Maroon 5, and More

Concerts have returned!

To commemorate the return of live music, the entertainment business Live Nation announced Thursday that it would offer customers $20 “all-in” tickets to nearly 1,000 forthcoming shows. “All in” denotes that the price includes all applicable taxes and levies.

The discounted “Return to Live” performances will take place in several of Live Nation’s 40 outdoor amphitheaters located throughout the United States.

Brad Paisley, Brooks & Dunn, Brothers Osborne, Brett Eldredge, Dierks Bentley, Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, Lady A, Luke Bryan, Thomas Rhett, and the Zac Brown Band are among the country singers taking part in the promotion.

“We couldn’t be more excited to get back out on the road,” said Zac Brown in a press release. “It’s been a long, difficult year for everyone and we’re fired up to be reuniting with our crew, sharing new music with our fans, and celebrating a brand new world.”

Along with the Jonas Brothers, Judas Priest, KISS, KORN, Lil Baby, Maroon 5, Pitbull, Slipknot, Trippe Redd, and Rise Against are also featured in the promotion.

“We can’t wait to get back on the road and in front of our fans, it means so much to be able to bring live music back to the people that support us the most,” the Jonas Brothers stated in the Live Nation statement.

The $20 tickets will be available for a limited period on the Live Nation website beginning July 28 at noon EDT / 9 a.m. PDT. T-Mobile and Sprint customers will have early access to the tickets next Tuesday, followed by the general public on July 28.

While fans may be anxious to return to live music, they will encounter a patchwork of COVID-19 regulations, depending on the locale, venue, and even the artist’s desire.

These concertgoer requirements include segregated seating for vaccinated and unvaccinated spectators, mandatory mask-wearing, and social distancing at food and merchandise lines. The rest of the shows are business as usual.