WhatsApp has recently introduced the transfer of chat history from an old phone to a newer one. The company now allows Android as well as iOS users to transfer their chat history using a QR code.
Note that, users will not be able to transfer details on peer-to-peer payment messages and call history. The company has started rolling out this feature on version 188.8.131.52 and above. Below let’s explore how to transfer WhatsApp Chat History on Android or iOS.
Transfer WhatsApp Chat History on Android Phone
- All you need to open your WhatsApp on an old phone.
- Now go to More Options > Settings > Chats > Transfer chats > Start.
- On the new handset, install and register on WhatsApp using the same number.
- Select Start on Transfer chat history from old phone.
- Allow the permissions and a QR code will appear. Scan this code using your old device.
- Once the permission for connecting phone is granted, the process will begin.
- As the import is finished, click Done.
Transfer WhatsApp Chat History on iOS device
- Similar to Android, WhatsApp on old iPhones also gets the same setting, just go to Settings > Chats > Transfer Chats to iPhone > Start.
- On the new phone, install WhatsApp and register using your phone number.
- Now select Continue on Transfer chat history to iPhone.
- Using the camera on your old phone, scan the QR code shown on your new device.
- Once the transfer completes, setup your profile on the new device.
Note: If you are looking to transfer the WhatsApp Chat History via QR code, make sure you/the user needs to assure that both their phones have Android OS Lollipop 5.1, or Android 6 or above installed.